I would like...

Sway API

It would be great if Sway offered an API.

I would LOVE to have tools to make templates or styles and give them out or at least edit my own sways in an advanced mode.

251 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Juergen Ehrensberger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be interesting if Sway could be used to generate individual/personalized reports based on data that resides in Dynamics and/or the CDS.

E.g. Send a customer an annual Account Summary that is generated in Sway and dynamically populated with their unique customer data.

Doesn't need to be limited to Dynamics... People could create Sway documents from data in the CDS (Common Data Service) that was created from a PowerApp etc. Automatically generate and send Sway documents using MS Flow etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like Microsoft Sway to be able to be integrated into an existing website, say .Net Core backend/AngularJS frontend where the interface for building/editing Sway is provided online with an API to control where documents are to be opened from in an editable format, saved to, perhaps customise the tool bars or their presentation, color schemes etc.

• Arthur Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We often use Sway to inform/train end users about a release. We employ a CI platform (VSTS) which had details of the new releases and detailed info about what's included and why. If Sway had an API then we could include it in the build and release that would not only push the release into the right environment but also create a Sway to inform users of what/why/how etc. I realise this may be an edge case use for many but it would plug the one of the few only only gaps in the MS stack I have for several customers

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd use the API to apply data to Sway templates for our SaaS users. It'd work well for us if this was offered through the Office 365 API platform.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per Arild's comment, is the Sway Team willing to give us an update here? Are you still open to offering an API?

• Arild commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any news from Microsoft on this matter? They updated the "uservoice" november 2014 last.

• Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to create a sway from Project online as a Project Newsletter and Project Status Report.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think generating reports, but making them a little more exciting.

We do a lot of stuff in PPTX manually each month--which is a chore! PPTX has slide size restrictions which make it tricky to populate with tables through API. If Sway is more accommodating on card size, we would more easily generate reports with many pages and also have them look cool too.

• TStanwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will capture patient health data in either Dynamics 365 Sales or Operations, send health data to Power BI to create health visuals, then embed the live Power BI into Sway. The Sway will also automatically retrieve before and after pictures of patients taken at our medical weight loss centers.

We'll use the API to send the latest Sway update to patients, who will then send links to their family, friends, and co-workers who ask how they lost all their weight.

This will promote Sway, our medical weight loss centers, and motivate the patients to keep the weight off.

• Nicolas Georgeault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use Sway as the publishing backend for a Public Facing WebSite in Azure Web Apps. So collaborators in Office 365 could create and update easily a small business public Web portal.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the API to allow JS to be embedded at each slide/unit of display for Sway. This would present a callback that calls an endpoint with data to tell us that someone viewed that slide, who it was and perhaps even how long they spent on it.

We run an app called https://tallyfy.com and we have a great idea that could transform Sway for sales teams - allowing them to create sales presentations with the process/insights part all built in.

• CBB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have an API where I can create a sway programmatically. In other words, I would like to be able to write a program like:
    Sway s = new Sway();
    s.title("text",image);
    s.addText("text");
    Section sec = s.addSection(text2,image2);
    sec.addPage(...);
    Group g = s.createGroup(...)
    etc...

I would also like to be able to redirect the sways to my own domain.

• Mirronelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An api to embed a sway into a page and allow the hosting page to control the sway. Such as next page etc. So that the hosting page has control over the playback of the sway. If possible without iframes.

• Ken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A Sway object is a dataset created by selecting entities (Picture, Date, Text) and a design that references those entities. Microsoft creates that UI in Sway itself.

In the calling app a Sway object is created and can be saved at any point making it retrievable. As our field guys work they collect their data and save it to their sways. We are responsible for all this UI. Microsoft just builds the API to create, save, recall and publish Sways. Publish will cause an exception if any of the data entities above are empty but marked required.

• Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a manufacturer and we use external sales reps to sell to clients. It would be great if we had a mechanism to automate building a Sway for a rep, which they could later edit, and fill that automatically with a product line's images, videos, fact sheets, etc., based on the rep's request, for the rep to use as a presentation to a client.

• Dan Kellett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to dynamically edit the content of the presentation and publish copies with these slight changes. Having the ability from another web application would be very helpful and I could use this immediately. Feel free to contact me for more detail of the use-case.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base