I would like...

Replace image command

When adding images to cards it would be nice to have a replace image command. That way when you want to try a different image in your sway design, you don't have to always delete the image and then start a new card and add new media

81 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Kevin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion! For the time being, we kind of have this feature for header and title cards. Just drag a new image over the card and it will pop the old picture out into a separate image card and add the new image to the header/title. We’ll continue gathering feedback to see if we should expand this capability like you suggest. :)

12 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such basic functionality. I am trying very hard to like Sway, but it seems to be missing so many basic design functionality that it makes the product very hard to use in any real way.

• Zach Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is absurd....this post is 3 years old and you guys still haven't added this basic functionality? typical MS, a half-baked idea that never gets finished.

Can this be extended to videos as well? Allow replacing a video that is on the card?

Agree that this is very frustrating. Trying out different images for a heading card is overwhelmingly frustrating. If it just worked the way the sway team says it works, that would be fine. But the current behavior of ignoring the dropped on card and instead creating the card below with the new image, is not useful in any context.

Dragging an image is not intuitive. I want to be able to right click and get an option to change image. We have that already in Word Templates such as Newsletters - its so easy. But I've just spent half an hour trying to change an image and all that was happening was a NEW card was created.

Very frustrating.

• Gilles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, pretty frustrating when you want to replace images or modify for different uses, you just end up re-creating everything... very inefficient... I think MS should have done some research before acquiring Sway... Lot's of other basic functionality that is in many other MS products is not there... Not really ready for prime time...

In response to - Sway Team (Official Rep., Office Sway) responded · January 21, 2015

For me works the other way round, puts the new image into a new image card and retails the old image in the title ;(

Crazy, the only way I can change the Title image is to delete the presentation and start from scratch.
    SO many basic features missing here!

Also, why are carriage returns not supported

I'm surprised others haven't suggested this. I don't like the way an image looks -- I've populated my text onto cards first. To change an image, I have to copy/paste text for each card I change.

Actually Sway Team, that doesn't work...once you have an image placed onto a Title card, and you want to replace the image with one you have uploaded (i.e. a corporate logo from tee desktop) you can't just drag and drop it. The only option is to Insert-Image which then gives you a new card. i

I don't want a new card. I want to replace the first image we put on the Title card. URGH!

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with this. I have just created a quick user guide for a piece of software but the layout of the software has changed and I need to replace all of the screenshots. Arghhhh - I have to create new cards for each image.

Feedback and Knowledge Base