I would like...

Linking within my Sway

I want to be able to use links to navigate within my Sway. Basically, the feature in Word that lets you choose to navigate to a place within your document.

1,360 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

76 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am using Sway, in fact multiple Sways, to develop a learning platform to teach a particular subject. It would be great if there were a to build in links within the Sway and to specific sections of other Sways. A user could view content in one Sway and then link to a more detailed explanation, or an example in that Sway or another Sway and then use a return link to the place in the original Sway where they are working. That is a tantalizing possibility now that Sway sections are numbered.

• Dee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Creating a sway which is a collation of resources. I want an internal sway link to another part of the Sway rather than repeating the information in two area.

Is it possible to create an internal Sway link?

• Nolan Sundrud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to create external links that bring a visitor to a Sway directly to a section, rather than just to the top of the Sway.

This way, if we update the Sway, we can send a link just to the new section. Or, if there is a specific section we want to highlight for one group, we can send them directly there.

Tried Sway for the first time. The first natural thing I wanted to do was to make it like interactive fiction where I could set the user off an a particular path of learning, depending on their choice. But ugh-oh, you can't. Deal Breaker. Not much use to me then.

In a school,
        A Teacher could make a subjects worth of information in Sway but then break it up into weeks/ class sessions.

I like how a wiki i can jump to different parts of the content as i might only be interested in one bit of info

• Anand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding to want others are saying, this is very helpful feature to add to sway, apart from using it in presentation,s pictures, etc we could have project wise slides and have a common slide which will have hyperlink to project specific card/slide. For those using sway to generate status reports, a slide/card with summarized report can be the first slide, and can contain hyperlinks to specific month/weeks/day. Other way is if I have vacation pictures, one slide can display various categories of pictures, like night life, local culture, walk, sun set, sun rise etc. clicking on each of these categories will navigate to the individual set of pictures for the category. The same thing can be applied in resumes as well.

• John Sumpter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to show my agreement with the other comments that suggested;

"providing a ruler/status bar at the bottom that shows how far through the presentation you are would be useful to quickly move and as an indication of where you are in the presentation."

If we could link between sections of a Sway, it would mean we could build self-contained learning materials. So, a single Sway could house the entire content for a subject, without having to jump out to a separate sway, which is not ideal and makes the experience feel clunky and unfinished.

As many institutions have access to Sway within their accounts, it would be very useful, and popular.

Higher Education within the UK has a massive drive to make learning content more accessible, mobile-friendly, and most importantly, easy to create. Sway almost does this, and it could be used my many institutions for more than just presentation if the linking (or as others have said, a table of contents) within a Sway was possible.

• Toby Hallam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sway can be a pain to navigate if it has lots of cards and sections. I use it for school reports these are generally a big file, if I need to find key element linking the sections would be really useful!

We use sway to create newsletters for our organisation. It would be nice to link to different sways for articles from the main sway and then come back. A site kind of navigation is oils be great.

Sway is for story-telling, and as is, it's great for telling mini-stories -- stories or messages that are short, uncomplicated, and with a singular, linear focus. Sway is not a PowerPoint -- i.e., used to support spoken stories... it's meant to stand alone as a resource to tell a story by itself, right?

Well, if people are independently engaging with the content -- i.e., if the story is left to tell itself, without a narrator -- you have to take into account how people will engage with it. They'll come in and have ideas about the content they want to find -- and want to skip to the relevant bits. They'll read some amazing point and what to see how it links back to something else previously stated. They'll want to engage content, experience it on their own terms... and that's not always linearly.

If you're using Sway to tell a complicated story (a collection of examples or a story OF stories, for instance) or if you'd want to use it like a timeline... you'd want to be able to click between "chapters" or important sections.

My company would love to use Sway to talk about our internal evolution over time. Many departments have done amazing things -- we'd want a place for them to tell their stories of how we've all grown.. but it'd be nice to either have a menu bar to jump between different stories there or a timeline to jump between progress at different points. So, as is, unless we want a single stream of 1000 clicks to see everything, Sway wouldn't be an option for us now, unfortunately. :-/

(Possible solutions, then: a menu bar, a search function, or hyperlinks)

• Tina Condon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use it to create learning content or sales presentations. I'd prefer to create one Sway, then be able to click a link to take me to the appropriate content based on audience needs. Like a table of contents or index.

This is very much needed! Unless one has a short and linear "story" to tell, Sway can be quite limiting as is -- but it has such potential! If one could link to different parts of it OR have floating menu, it would be much more viable for more in-depth storytelling.

I agree, so you can move quickly from the start to a section further on as at the moment you have to move through the whole presentation forwards and backwards each time. Even providing a ruler/status bar at the bottom that shows how far through the presentation you are would be useful to quickly move and as an indication of where you are in the presentation.

A one page style definitely needs a navigation and linking option if you were to use if for a large presentation/portfolio, otherwise its really not useful!

Hi,

It would be very helpful (and transformative) if you added the ability to hyperlink between sections within a Sway. This would allow you to move between different cards / elements of a Sway a bit like moving to a chapter in a book.

I work at a university and we are looking at using Sway to allow tutors to create learning content in an easy and engaging way, and Sway almost lets us do that, but the ability to hyperlink to sections is currently missing. We are part of Office365 and so everybody in the institution has access, making it another reason to use the tool.

I hope this function can be added

Regards

John

• Anatol. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you create a sway with more than 2-3 pages, having the option to create navigation links (go to top, beginning, go to page X, or to section Z) would be very useful (like Word navigation, table of contents of even links to places in this document)

• Creme Brulee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Either a "sticky" list of links (a de facto Table of Contents) that operate like Word Bookmarks would be ideal. The totally linear nature of a Sway has led me to use it very little, though I had great hopes.

I would like to manage links inside the Sway layout, so that I can build an Index or Summary.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base